The Singapore Sling is one of this island nation’s most iconic creations, a throwback to its colonial past, and, for all practical purposes, a great way to cool down in the tropical heat of the city.
The iconic cocktail that Singapore have all grown to love and be proud of was first created in the early 20th century at the Long Bar of the Raffles Hotel, nestled in Singapore’s Civic District. The bartender was a Mr Ngiam Tong Boon, he developed a drink he called the gin sling, comprising two parts gin, one-part cherry brandy, and one-part juice (a blend of orange, lime, and Sarawak pineapple).
Legend has it that it was created as a light drink for the ladies, with its pink colour and sweet taste. The drink was popular for a decade or so but was no longer sought after by the 1930s.
It is difficult to know how close the current version of the Singapore Sling is to its original recipe since all the bartenders have left for us is a loose collection of written notes. It’s no wonder then, that the cocktail has undergone so many variations. Many will insist that the original recipe used Benedictine and Cherry Heering, and more recent recipes have almost always included grenadine.
The versatility of the Sling makes it easy to adapt into modern twists. Variations of the Singapore Sling recipe are aplenty but mix up one of these potent and sweet cocktails with this recipe and you’ll be pleased with the results.
You will need
- 1 cup ice
- 1 ½ fluid ounces gin
- ½ fluid ounce cherry flavoured brandy
- ¼ fluid ounce triple sec
- ¼ fluid ounce Benedictine liqueur
- 4 fluid ounces pineapple juice
- ½ fluid ounce lime juice
- ½ fluid ounce grenadine syrup
- 1 cup ice
- 1 slice fresh pineapple
- 1 cherry
- Fill a Collins glass with 1 cup ice and set aside in the freezer.
- Combine gin, cherry-flavoured brandy, triple sec, Benedictine, pineapple juice, lime juice, and grenadine in a cocktail shaker. Add 1 cup ice, cover and shake until chilled. Strain into the prepared Collins glass.
- Garnish with slice of pineapple and a cherry.
The Singapore Sling cocktail is commonly requested by our clients especially if they are hosting foreign guests and will like them to have a taste of our sunny little island! If you will like to have great tasting Singapore Sling cocktails at your event, drop us an enquiry today!